Being a doctor: the power of touch

Although less than comfortable childhood did not know what missing in feed until I played football in about 10 years. The coach, a burly man with a voice so enormous as its circumference, put his hand on my shoulder and said something to the team.


I've never been able to explain feeling that happened that day, then like lightning. It was so foreign, I was so overwhelmed and fear of was living he ran with scarce forests close to the camp and began to cry, Crouching behind a lone tree who wept, when no one expects for me I sollozo uncontrollably. This was the beginning of a connection with the world. It was as if a spirit has entered into my body and was now conscious, aware of the life.


From that moment I was well aware of how other children were treated by a loving father. I became aware of how their lunches were wrapped and packaged. I felt a grateful envy when I saw a folded napkin and homemade pastries, I could feel the love. I was summoned to the mothers who attend to their children, especially when he held his hands or touched them in any way.


Classmates pants always were just the right length and asked how this was so. Showed me the hem tailored to each leg where simplistic hands and the warm heart of his mother carefully made him see kept it. When I saw a father with daughter sleeping in his lap, smile me and make me comfort. Instead of feeling jealous or bereaved I felt connected, also had an idea of what I felt.


With no thoughts of medicine as a career read in a photograph, pediatrician, author and poet, William Carlos Williams. It stood on a very small child that seemed asleep. The child had been kicked in the head by a horse, his suturada injury, bleeding stopped. Dr. Williams hands were bleeding his head so much as see St. Francis of Assisi, depicted in art, as claimed by a dove.


His face tired and grim as he waited for her to wake up and forced once more on energy and life. I knew from experience his hands were the passages of life itself, power of his magic to his soul and textiles. This, no sutures or hemostasis, was going to make it better; I knew then that my life was going to be. Somehow by being a doctor I could impersonate a mother and a father and then manage that magic offered in contact. Being a doctor could keep me connected to this day, this time in the field.


I immediately understood the art of medicine and the power of the human touch. Sometimes, when you listen to frustrations of a patient on a previous encounter with another physician or health care provider, I would like to mention... "and he has never touched me." To make contact with us in an appeal for help to arrive from the sick bed, as if not it will take seriously until that transfer their need of Tacitus by touch, this request not confirmed until you click back.


I am prone to play a patient sick in the front, much as a mother would check the fever of children. Rest there for a few seconds in the birth of the hair, just enough to let them know that I'm connected; You are not alone, I care. I will try to give a spark little life to each patient, as it did the first touch of the mine. She is not taught in medical school, nor is it's functionality or altruism, it is because I feel the hand of the coach when touching a patient.